Thursday 8 November 2012

Huge October Haul

So, it seems like I'm writing again! Though I'll be honest, I am not enjoying it much... yet. I've been rather busy moving into my new house (an actual house, compared to all the flats I've been living in all my life... so a change) and filling it for Ikea stuff from ceiling to floor... Ikea ♥.
This October I have collected an impressive amount of stuff ranging from make-up to skin products etc. I think I've photographed everything in here, aside some basic stuff like hand gel (which I love) and shower gel...
I'll admit that a LOT of the stuff is not stuff I need at all, in the slightest. I kind of outdid myself this month and spent a fortune. Main catalyst was my parents transferring around $400 in total into my bank account to go visit my boyfriend for "emergencies" e.g. train tickets that cost up to 127 pounds one way... but I digress. 

 Above is pretty much everything I bought bar hand creams and shower gels. The picture isn't very good but I will break down what everything is and why I thought I needed it... 

Rimmel Stay Matte Translucent Pressed Powder - this was a whim buy because I definitely do not need another powder. Main reason behind buying this was that the rest of my powders bar my Bourjois one have quite the pink toned hue to them and coupled with a pink based foundation and concealer a rather unpleasant pink effect is achieved, so basically this powder avoids that as it is not actually translucent at all, it's a yellow base powder. It's nothing special, but worth buying for touch ups. It smells kinda cool too, but I really couldn't describe it.

MUA BB Cream, Lipgloss, Face Primer and Eyeshadow Trio - these will have their own little post later. This is my second purchase from MUA and I am generally quite pleased with these. Full review soon. 

Paul Mitchell SoftStyle Soft Spray - this was reduced to an amazing £3 at a local hairdressing salon so I jumped on it. Did I need it? No. What is it? It's a finishing spray - I find it is basically a light hold hairspray but not as sticky or volumising. Again, it's nothing spectacular but for 3 quid it does a nice enough job.

Redken 5th Avenue NYC Outshine Anti-frizz Polishing Milk - this was also £3 at the hair salon and having known the brand for a while I decided to give it a go. Anti-frizz products have been seeping into my collection lately though I'll admit none really work because I don't quite know how to use them (oh dear). I.e. I don't want them on dry hair because I always end up overdoing it and it ends up permanently "wet" and putting in damp hair never seems to work for me. This particular product is, once more, nothing special but has a big con for me. It smells fine on my hair, but 3 seconds after application my hands start to reek of... you'll never believe this... eyelash glue. Literally Eyelure eyelash glue. It's horrible. Seriously. Obviously I wash my hands after use, but it's not encouraging me to use the product! Did I notice shine? Not really I'm afraid. Did I see a reduction in frizz? Well, just as much as putting water on your hair. However, I will carry on using this to see if it's just me being a numpty with it. 

Benefit 'they're Real' Mascara - the most expensive single product of the lot. This will get it's own review soon.

NYX Jumbo Pencil in Milk - who has been looking up makeup tutorials and haven't heart of the Milk pencil? few, I assure you. This was bought on Amazon for a not very friendly price, not something I'd usually pay for a pencil. When it first arrived I was mega disappointed because it wasn't a wooden pencil and I had absolutely no idea how to sharpen it. I had to go and invest in a Bourjois Dual Sharpner from Boots to sharpen it and to my relief the plastic did sharpen okay. The product itself... well, I find it too creamy for my liking. If my primer doesn't go on too well (oh, it does that) i.e. it's a little chalky, this little pencil will amplify it 10 fold. I cover it with eyeshadow of course, but I just dont find this too pleasant to work with. Because of the creaminess I always seem to put too much on and so there is just too much white. Does it make the eyeshadows pop? Definitely. I would recommend this. Party season is a bit dead for me, so this is taking the back-seat because I use it for dramatic night-time looks and not during the day. It doesn't go on the waterline very well at all, though the colour is strong it doesn't last there and the pencil is way too big to get to the corners without painting your eyelashes white. 

Rimmel Soft Kohl Kajal Eyeliner Pencil in 071 Pure White - I bought this to go on my waterline and inner corner and had hoped that it would be so horribly soft that it would stay in the waterline nice and creamy. I was wrong. The pigmentation isn't great and the pencil is hard-ish to poke my waterline with. It wasn't a big hit to  my purse, but I am not too happy with this. However, I don't think I will be investing in any white eyeliner in the future because this one will do and I don't use them much anyway.

Bionsen Remineralizing Eye Cream - I bought this in vain hope that the slightly higher price and a vaguely known brand name would make this a decent eye cream from TKmaxx. I was wrong. This is just... well, bad. It's runny, doesn't do anything for my eyes and the worst of all... it stinks. Unbearably. I can tolerate some bad smells if the product is good (e.g. Too Faced eyeshadow primer) but this is pushing it. This has gone straight into my unused makeup box and I return to my trusty Simple Soothing Eye Balm. 

Too Faced palettes: Smoky Eyes & Glamour To Go Dream Edition - these two will have their own review post but in short I hate the smoky eye one and love the glamour to go one.

Nip+Fab Sheer Makeup Fix - I like this. I do. I bought this as a primer, and because I like Nip+Fab a lot. Maybe it's the packaging. I find a little with this goes a long way and it does have a slight primer-like effect by making pores and lines look a bit smoother. Does it work like the Smashbox primer? No. And it's not meant to. It has healthy things in it and isn't really part of the "makeup" selection, it's more a skin product. It has a subtle, gentle fragrance and a completely non-sticky feel. Would recommend :)

Collection Lasting Perfection Concealer - my absolute holy grail product, I use this instead of foundation now (ha!) and get asked how I get my skin so perfect. I cannot stress enough how incredible this product is. This is my second tube and the first one has lasted me very well considering I use it to cover my whole face. Go out and buy it! Go go go!

ELF! - these will also get their own review very soon (tomorrow, maybe) and there is a lot to review. This was part of a spree online and I also got three products as part of a Halloween goodie bag (guess which?) which I have mixed feelings about... but that's all to come. 

I bought a bunch of other stuff like the St Ives Apricot Scrub that everyone is so mad about but I haven't actually had time to even use it at all, Norwegian Formula Hand & Nail cream and a tonne of Imperial Leather shower gels which I absolutely love. 

Phew, long post is long. I feel like I've left quite a lot of detail out because it's now past midnight and the post is long enough... the reviews I promised will come soon ish, and maybe I'll even do the other products I didn't mention I'd do a full review on.
This has been a big spending month so I'm gonna try to make November a makeup-free month (pretty sure I should be spending it on the new house anwyay... oops!) 
:) 
x

No comments:

Post a Comment